Whether this is your first experience with Chinese medicine, or you have been attending acupuncture regularly for years, there are a few things you will want to keep in mind in preparation for our first session together.
First, not all physicians of Chinese medicine are trained in the same school of thought. Chinese medicine has a long history and for this reason, many approaches and specialties have arisen with a focus on different aspects of Chinese medical theory. My training is in Classical Chinese medicine, meaning, my practice utilizes diagnostics and prescriptions from the earliest texts which have been translated by my teachers and other experts in the field.
Second, it is important to understand your goal for treatment. This means, you should have an idea of what you would like to achieve with treatment. This includes your physical, mental, and emotional health and your overall vision for quality of life. This will be important to communicate so we may find the treatment plan which best suits you.
Lastly, it is okay to feel excited, nervous, and even unsure. Open communication is available throughout the process and I will adjust treatment to ensure your comfort and safety are prioritized.
Below are a few suggestions to help you prepare for treatment. I look forward to working with you!
Ways to Prepare Prior to Treatment
1. Hydrate. Be sure and drink plenty of water in general and especially a few days leading up to treatment. This will support treatment and help mitigate potential side effects such as light-headedness.
2. Have a meal. Make sure you have a substantial meal within 4 hours of treatment and/or a snack within 2 hours of treatment. This will give us more resources to work with.
3. Wear comfortable, loose-fitted clothing. You cannot look better than you feel!
4. Bring a list of current medications and/or supplements. This may affect acupuncture and/or herbal therapy.
5. Relax. We will work together to make sure you feel supported throughout the course of treatment. Your voice matters so please do not hesitate to ask questions.